[linux-audio-user] why does files created on mac gets played in half the speed?

James Tappin james at tappin.me.uk
Tue Feb 11 15:10:59 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 04:31:39 +0900
micro-people <imuzik at geocities.co.jp> wrote:

> excuse me but still cannot solve this problem
> can someone give me a hint?
>
> the problem is this
>
> all the .mp3 files created @ MacOS9
> becomes half the speed when played by
> mpg123 @ slackware
>
> things are the same with
> .wav files played by doing
> play made at mac.wav
>
> my
> GatewaySOLO(PentiumMMX150Mhz+48MB-RAM) has
> ESS's ES1888 on it
> and recently started making sounds
> via
> modprobe sb
>
> files recorded with
> rec newthingviamic.au
> plays ok
> even though the quality of it is no good
>
> am a prompt mode only csounder
> and wanna keep the machine that way
> but
> if i switch to mandrake
> will this aspect be easily solved?

This is a guess and may be wholly wrong. It sounds to me as if your Mac is
writing a stereo mp3, but flagging it as mono (possibly failing to insert
a flag), and then your Linux box is playing it back as a mono file so each
frame becomes 2 hence it goes half speed.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james at tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering