[linux-audio-user] Re: Which soundcard?

Robert Epprecht epprecht at solnet.ch
Fri Feb 14 12:32:01 EST 2003

I wrote:

> I'm planing to record electrical and acoustical instruments
> (including voice), and I do need MIDI and (maybe) SPDIF I/O.

> Looking around in the net I have got the impression that both
> RME Hammerfall (PCI Interface + Multiface) and the Midiman Delta 1010
> would be good choices and about equally supported in Linux.

> Do you think that these cards would be comparable regarding quality
> and Linux compatibility?

First of all:
Thanks a lot for the responses I got on the list and by PM.
The links sent to me kept me busy some days ;-)

I have received (very positive) reactions regarding M-Audio Delta 1010,
but nowbody talked about RME Hammerfall cards. Is this just an accident
or do this cards have any drawbacks (i.e. regarding Linux support) that
I should know of?

The combination of a PCI (DSP) card and the Hammerfall Multiface looks
interesting to me.  How is it running under Linux?

One of the qualities that let's me consider it (beside M-Audio Delta 1010)
is the possibility to use a loooong (firewire) cable, so I could put the
(noisy) computer in another room to record low level acoustic stuff.

Robert Epprecht