[linux-audio-user] is ext3 ok for real-time / low-latency?

Jan "Evil Twin" Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sat Feb 15 09:14:00 EST 2003

I have copies of Mark Knecht's benchmarks on my web page :

 http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/Arcana.html

as well as a write-up explaining why you shouldn't use ext3.  It
basically comes down to the fact that ext3 is using a separate file to
handle the journal.  What this means is that as you write your audio
data, every once in a while, the system has to write to a different file
in a separate location on the hard drive.  It will depend on how close
the files are physically to each other, disk latency, and a host of
other things but, eventually, you will see problems with ext3.  It's not
hard to convert to reiserfs (instructions (destructions?) are included
on the above page) so why not.  Reiser journals are kept with (as part
of?) the files - you don't have to run fsck after a crash.  A real
intersting thing to note is that reiserfs actually seems to be faster
than ext2 for what we're doing.

Jan