[linux-audio-user] Need help - hardware recommendations

Hartmut Noack symposion at onlinehome.de
Sat Feb 15 10:28:01 EST 2003

Hi Bryan,

i experienced lots of complications using „exotic“ Pro-Soundequipment
with Linux.
So i got some (sort of radical) Recommendations for you ;-]]

1) try Soundblaster 1024 Live! Player ( NOT SB Live 501 !!)
   the card uses a professional EMU-Chip witch is formidably supported by
alsa,
   so midi-functions should work properly...
   even though the cards D-A-Encoders are far from being excellent they
work smooth
   enough to serve very well for demos in average HIFI-Sound.
   AND: the card should be available for less than $60,-

2) get a mixing desk!
   The chain is as strong as its weakest segment, i experienced a
remarkable
   improvement of sound after investing the Equivalent of $120,- in a
   Phonic-8Channel-Mixer with 2 reasonable Mic-Preamps.
   Try to get a 8-Channel Mackie VLZ if you can invest about $250 - this
one kills.

If you really want hi-end sound, consider to rent a studio for about 1-2
days per song,
i guess, you could never afford the gear, a average Studio can support
you with. And theres no real need to have such stuff at home, i think...

Live long and prosper ;-]]

zettberlin/berlin/germ
http://www.linuxuse.de

Am 14.02.03, 19:44:23, schrieb Bryan Koschmann - GKT <gktnews at gktech.net>
zum Thema [linux-audio-user] Need help - hardware recommendations:

> Hello,

> I'm a bit of a newbie (okay, REALLY newbie) when it comes to working with
> audio, but I am a strong linux user.

> Basically, I have the following:

> 2 - instrument microphone (XLR)
> 1 - vocal microphone (XLR)
> 1 - keyboard w/ midi interface

> I want to do some multitrack recording, using anywhere fmro 2-4 of the
> above items at once. I am getting ready to start building a dedicated box
> for this. So, what kind of hardware should I be looking at? I'm looking
> for something somewhat inexpensive (RME Hammerfall was about $600,
Midiman