[linux-audio-user] is ext3 ok for real-time / low-latency?

Mark Knecht markknecht at attbi.com
Sat Feb 15 11:46:01 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 04:14, Larry Troxler wrote:
> Well, since my installation (mostly RedHat 7.1) was getting to be a big mess,
> with bits and pieces from different places, I decided the best way to get a
> working C++ compiler was to get a new drive and do a fresh redhat 8.0
> installation :-)
>
> My immediate question: is ext3 bad news for real-time work? I saw some
> linux-audio-dev list messages from people who were having freezes using it.

The freezes were with a newer kernel, and with low-latency patches, when
combined with ext3 I believe.

> Should I convert my filesystem back to ext2 (assuming there is a way) or not?

There is a way,  but don't bother.

> Which one in theory (assuming no bugs which seems to be the cause for the
> freeze) should be better for low-latency work?

I am using reiserfs. I think it's better for trying to get to the lowest
latencies. That said, if you wanted to run at 5-10mS, probably either
would be OK. I did a little work (very little actually) that Jan has
published on his Evil Twin web site. Read it and make your own
decisions.

http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA_JACK_ARDOUR.html

under section 2