[linux-audio-user] (perhaps) stupid question regarding ln -s and binaries

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 17 07:23:01 EST 2003

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 05:51:23 -0500, Ivica Bukvic wrote:
> So, my question is how do I make the binary aware where its stuff lies
> if its config script ~/.config-file does not reveal such settings, and
> if I don't want to put app's dir into my path which to me seems a bit
> clumsy? In another words, how can I link it to a bin dir and still have
> it work as it is supposed to (i.e. to be aware of what Windows refers to
> being app's "working dir"?

It depends on exactly what the app is looking for.

In the simple case you can make a /usr/local/bin/foo script that contains:
#!
(cd /apps/build/dir; ./app)

I'm guessing thats not what you want though.

But if its just looking for libraries, you can do

#!
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/apps/build/dir
/apps/build/dir/app

or put the LD_LIBRARY_PATHs in your .login script or equivalent if there
are no conflicts.

- Steve