[linux-audio-user] Alsa with OPL3-SA2 on Asus Laptop

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Mon Feb 17 10:39:01 EST 2003

Chris Bray wrote:

> ...the bios is very basic, doesnt let you do anything with audio. Not even turn it off.

Ouch.

[re: building ALSA]

> I used ./configure --with-isapnp=yes && make && make install
> didnt specify any particular cards
> is there anything else I should have done

Ah, maybe you should try building a few different modules. My HP 4150
includes a chipset variously identified as a CS4231/32, an OPL3SAx, an
NM256AV, and an NM2200. After conferring with Takashi I've settled on
using the CS4232 chipset's modules parameters, and everything works
fine. I did try using the NM modules to no avail; in fact, OSS/Linux
identified the set as NM2200 but I got no sound at all from that module.
On the advice of Dev Mazumdar I tried using the NM256AV modules instead,
and that worked with OSS/Linux. The ALSA NM256AV module did not work;
the OPL3SAx module worked, but I got more features from the CS4232
module.

Btw, it is possible that your Windows settings may not work under Linux.
Be prepared to do more digging, though Takashi can probably steer you in
the right direction.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org