[linux-audio-user] Getting alsaplayer to work with Audiophile

James Tappin james at tappin.me.uk
Mon Feb 17 14:02:00 EST 2003

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:29:23 +0100
Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I have a M-Audio Audiophile card (snd-ice1712) in my box, and for
> month I cannot get alsaplayer to work with it in ALSA-mode. I
> currently use
> $ alsaplayer --version
> alsaplayer 0.99.70
> from the unstable Debian package.
>
> But it didn't work with any prior version. Actually I like alsaplayer,
> because it runs very stable without dropouts, but in my case it
> doesn't deserve its name. This is the error I keep getting when
> starting alsaplayer ("-d default", "-d hw:0" all give the same):
>
> $ alsaplayer
> error on set_periods (13)
> Unavailable hw params:
> ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
> FORMAT:  S16_LE
> SUBFORMAT:  STD
> SAMPLE_BITS: 16
> FRAME_BITS: 32
> CHANNELS: 2
> RATE: 44100
> PERIOD_TIME: (11609 11610)
> PERIOD_SIZE: 512
> PERIOD_BYTES: 2048
> PERIODS: [1 13)
> BUFFER_TIME: (11609 148595)
> BUFFER_SIZE: [512 6553]
> BUFFER_BYTES: [2048 26212]
> TICK_TIME: 10000
> error on set_periods (7)
> Unavailable hw params:
> ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
> FORMAT:  S16_LE
> SUBFORMAT:  STD
> SAMPLE_BITS: 16
> FRAME_BITS: 32
> CHANNELS: 2
> RATE: 44100
> PERIOD_TIME: (23219 23220)
> PERIOD_SIZE: 1024
> PERIOD_BYTES: 4096
> PERIODS: [1 7)
> BUFFER_TIME: (23219 148595)
> BUFFER_SIZE: [1024 6553]
> BUFFER_BYTES: [4096 26212]
> TICK_TIME: 10000
> failed to configure output device...trying OSS
>
> Yeah, "trying OSS", you wimp! ;)
>
> Has anyone with an Audiophile alsaplayer working?

The problem is that alsaplayer is hardwired to check for *hardware*
support of 16-bit samples which are only supported via the plugin layer. I
raised this issue ages ago on the alsaplayer list, with no result,
eventually I gave up with it. I think it should only be a matter of
remvoing one or two check on the hw device.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james at tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering