[linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-devel] Please explain Alsa Interface MIDI numbering PLEASE!

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Mon Feb 17 15:49:01 EST 2003

> >    0 'Timer           '
> >    1 'Announce        '
> >client 64: 'External MIDI 0' [type=kernel]
> >    0 'MIDI 0-0        '
> >   32 'MIDI 0-1        '
> >client 72: 'External MIDI 1' [type=kernel]
> >    0 'Midisport 2x2 Port 0'
> >    1 'Midisport 2x2 Port 1'
> >    2 'Midisport 2x2 Port 2'
> >    3 'Midisport 2x2 Port 3'
> >[mark at Godzilla mark]$
> >

> >   The above information is certainly a bit more readable, but it seems
> >to still be, at the least, inconsistent.
> >
> >1) For client 64, which is an HDSP 9652, there are two rawmidi ports.
> >However, the info above says they are labeled '0' and '32'. Should they
> >not be 0 & 1? If this is an error, then what needs to be fixed? The HDSP
> >9652 driver?
>
> no, the port numbers are 0 and 32, but in the name, its 0 and 1.

Well, OK, I guess I don't understand the meaning of 'ports' then. The HDSP
only has two sets of in and out connectors. Are these not ports? Or does the
Alsa spec think that each 'port' is somehow combination of a MIDI connector
and a channel or something? How is it that a single input uses up 32 port
number? (HDSP 9652 MIDI 1 seems to go from port 0 to port 31, and I guess #2
goes from 32-63.)

> >2) Why does the HDSP 9652 not tell me its name like the MidiSport does?
>
> its using a copy of some generic ALSA code that just calls the ports
> "MIDI C P" where C=card number and P=physical port number. i'll change
> this when i add the fixes for the mixer and the h/w names.

This would be very helpful. Thanks!