[linux-audio-user] Mailing list for general music making questions?

Levi Burton donburton at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 17 20:36:01 EST 2003

I have always been fascinated by the creative process.  It seems everyone has
a different way of discovering what works for them and what does not.
Sometimes I sit and wonder to myself, "This is a pop song, but what makes it
a pop song?" or, "This is a sad song, but what _makes_ it a sad song?".
Being someone with no music theory background, this type of information would
greatly improve the creative process for me.

The amount of variables to be explored when making music is staggering.
Everyone has different skills, different equipment and different attitudes
when it comes to making music.  For instance, a sound engineer specializing
in guitars would more than likely have a _very_ good idea of what not to do
and what _to_ do for anything that wants to have great sounding guitars; they
will have lots of experience with many different combinations of amps,
guitars and people.  Usually, these engineers discover the "right"
combination through years of discovery (although, they may be hesitant to
share what they have learned for whatever reasons, ego will usually solve
this if they are that good).

We all want to just get on with the creative process in the most efficient
way, obviously.  Having a channel for discussing all these processes would be
absolutely golden.  Everyone wins.

Anyway, what I have just talked about I'm sure is obvious to everyone, but I
just wanted to share my $0.02.

-Levi

--
Levi Burton