[linux-audio-user] Pop filter?

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Mon Feb 17 20:41:01 EST 2003

 I have a huge {read huge} number of samples... mostly noise, mostly
generated in graphic synthesizers like coagula and svelte or those
bizarre little synths that you find in the back rooms of the most
obscure web pages that I've taken and either beaten into submission or
inflamed with passion or lust or anger or something.

I'm thinking a lot of folk in here probably do.

 My problem with these is that seeing as I'm a computer junkie and am
constantly riding the edge of that "too much information" brain fry...
I, basically... have no memory {short term}

 What I'm thinking might fix this is to literally turn ones file system
into a sampler. {I'd do it myself but, seeing as I'm really slow at
coding stuff and someone else might like the idea and be able to do it
faster and better and I'd much rather use it than build it...}

 What if you were to take something like Nautilus with its adjustable
display parameters, notes, etc, etc... and set up an interface to a
sequencing engine? This way folk could open their loops folder,
highlight specific samples and have them play according to a specific
system tempo. You could do the same with the drum samples folder so as
to build drum loops and maybe even get a couple of folders all going at
the same time so as to build entire songs. You could add the ability to
dump stuff to higher level folders, run synths... quite literally turn
ones computer into a musical system... Maybe you could even toss in
little flashing soft-leds that might work similarly to the emblems
already existant in nautilus so that you could actually see what's
playing at any given time. Some sort of quickie preview system would be
nice... plugin folders, display folders, etc... What if you were to
interface a scripting language with this, add the ability to perform
system functions like run specific programs at specific points in ones
sequence, save patterns, etc, yadda...

 The entire linux community could participate by just adding seqence
scripts to the community sequence script pile...

 Just a thought... It might go a ways towards producing that killer
linux app. {and get me halfway organized in the process...}
--
Rick Taylor <ricktaylor at speakeasy.net>
The Dispossessed