[linux-audio-user] Mailing list for general music making

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 18 03:56:01 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 07:44, Darren Landrum wrote:
> Rick Taylor writes:

> > I could certainly use it...I had the impression that was what this list
> > is for though.

> That's one of the reasons I wanted to solicit opinions on the idea.
> However, it always seemed to me that this list is about audio only as it
> pertains to Linux. Would a question about how good a couple of different
> drum sets sound when recorded be appropriate here? That's the kind of
> stuff I was asking about. (That's a real world example. I went looking to
> buy a drum set today, and ran into problems getting a few questions
> answered.)
> Also, things like microphone technique, EQ and mixing technique, and tips
> for soundproofing a room I think would be beyond the scope of the Linux
> Audio lists, but not for the one I propose.

 I suppose you're right I don't see why the one you're proposing
shouldn't be linux specific though. It seems to me as though there's
already a lot of the general wikis out there.

> > It would be nice if there were a place to get educated on electronic
> > and linux specific song/music theory as well as production...

> A music theory list? That could also fall within the scope of the list I
> want to find/start.

 That's one thing that's really lacking out here... most theory stuff
gets really commercial really fast... either that or it's specific to a
particular style or no one posts on the list, etc...
--
Rick Taylor <ricktaylor at speakeasy.net>
The Dispossessed