[linux-audio-user] My Edirol UA-20 arrived, but now I have a big problem!

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Feb 18 16:54:00 EST 2003

Hallo,
Ivica Bukvic hat gesagt: // Ivica Bukvic wrote:

> I assume you're using a laptop. I've noticed a similar issue on other
> laptops (Dell notebooks and Apple powerbooks have similar issues). It's
> simply because when the laptop is hooked up into a wall, the current
> that travels near the main motherboard in order to get to the charging
> battery causes interference. You may want to try using your laptop
> hooked up into external power but without the battery in the laptop
> itself and if the noise is then gone, then that is definitely what is
> causing it.

I didn't try that, but I'll do, maybe tomorrow.

> Other option is that even if the battery is out and it still makes
> noise, that your external power connection is too close to the USB
> controller of some sorts (or even the USB connector) causing similar
> interference.

I could verify now, that it must be something with the power supply. I
took everything except my amp over to my friends room, plugged it into
her amplifier and didn't get noise anymore.

Thinking about it, I have a whole bunch of electrical devices
plugged-in in my room. Maybe I have reached the final frontier for my
connections and need to get a new one. But I'm glad, that the hardware
and especially the notebook seems to be okay.

ciao