[linux-audio-user] Full Duplex woes

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 25 18:56:01 EST 2003

bwpearre at alumni.princeton.edu (Benjamin Weste Pearre) writes:

> > I've used an SBLive 512 with Audacity to do full duplex - but note that full
> > duplex in Audacity 1.0 for Linux doesn't work; a known bug. Try the latest
> > beta version 1.1.1 and see if full duplex works. That version has plenty of
> > bugs, but there is a new beta due next month.

 ...To their credit... it looks as though the newest Audigys actually do
 have 24/96 full duplex processing... why anyone would want all of the
 "extras" that come on those cards is beyond me. Simpler cards just cause
 fewer problems, in my opinion.

> I tried telling Audacity 1.1.1 to play while recording, just last
> night.  Debian 3.0, kernel 2.4.20, alsa 0.9.0rc5.  Crashed my system,
> had to use the power switch.  Did I mention I like journalled
> filesystems?  :)

 :} I'm trying to recompile the 2.4.18 kernel for k7 with xfs {do read the
 howto if you decide to try this... it'll save you massive recovery time.}
 and reiser as well as all of the patches for my hardware. {I'm in a
 terminal} I've actually got it working... It's just not real stable. {x
 doesn't seem to want to run with it {past the login, anyway...} Whether
 that's the dregs of my old system or an actual problem with the kernel...
 I don't know.

 Does anyone know of any diagnostic software that will help me find out what
 the problem is?

 While I'm at it... does anyone have any experience with Be for linux.