[linux-audio-user] new to linux audio

Kai Vehmanen kai.vehmanen at wakkanet.fi
Thu Feb 27 22:58:00 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Christophe Vescovi wrote:

> The other question is about jack. Does Jack enable synchronisation
> between HD recorder (ecasound, ardour) and midi sequencer (Muse for
> example) ? I saw something about the transport feature of jack, but does
> not know exactly what it does.

That's one of the goals of JACK. We are close to reaching it, but not
there yet. The closest combo at the moment is rosegarden+ecasound. RG
implements the JACK transport master mode while ecasound can operate as a
transport slave. I don't know if anyone has tried this yet (I'm not a
regular RG user myself, so I haven't had the time/energy to test this). As
the whole transport thing is still very new, there will probably be quite
a few problem before this works nicely out of the box. But anyways, we are
getting closer.

In case you are wondering, neither RG or Ardour implements the slave
mode, so that's why you are stuck with ecasound for the moment. ;)

Another interesting app, which recently got JACK transport support is
Soundtracker. Far from perfect, but I've managed to get
ecasound+soundtracker to work together. Basicly I had one soundtracker as
the JACK master and two ecasounds as JACK slaves. I could press 'start'
and 'stop' in soundtracker and both ecasound sessions would react to these
events. Unfortunately soundtracker doesn't yet map the position
information to song position, so you always had to start the recording
from start. Still, I did manage to record a simple track with this setup
and then mix it (.xm from st, one .wav from each ecasound). This is a big
improvement as normally I'd need to render the .xm to .wav after each
change.

For those interested, I posted the following to linux-audio-dev
(this thread eventually led to JACK) ~two years ago:

http://www.eca.cx/lad/2001/May/0071.html

So this was in May 2001. A lot has happened, but there's still a lot to do
left. You can find more history info at http://www.eca.cx/laaga ...

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!