[linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: New LADSPA Hints (Was: [ANNOUNCE] tapiir-0.7.1)

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Feb 28 09:28:01 EST 2003

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:07:18 +0000, Mike Rawes wrote:
> Think this needs to go to LAD too...

Er, yeah, I didn't realise it wasn't.

> > I think there was one more too, but I can't think what it was...
>
> I remember one about sidechains or something. I don't know what a sidechain is,
> though, I just recall seeing it somewhere :)

I dont think that one is practical.

> > There was a suggestion on ardour-dev that a hint to say whether control outs
> > were supposed to be informative or a source of control data might help,
> > but I'm not sure about it.
>
> Not sure what 'informative' means here... what information do we get if we
> ignore the control data on the output?

For example the distinction between the control output of an envelope
follower and the gain reduction output of a compressor, the follower is
inteded to drive eg. a filters cutoff, wheres the gain reduction is just
inteded to be viewed by the user as a clue as to what is going on.

> /* Hint RANDOMISABLE indicates that it's meaningful to randomise the port
>    if the user hits a button. This is useful for the steps of control
>    sequencers, reverbs, and just about anything that's complex. A control
>    with this hint should not result in anything too suprising happening to
>    the user (eg. sudden +100dB gain would be unpleasant). */
> #define LADSPA_HINT_RANDOMISABLE    0x80

'meaningful' is probably the wrong word, how about 'useful'?

The last sentance doesn't make sense, it should start "Randomising a
control"... I think.

Also, UK v's US spelling, is there a convention in the rest of the .h
file?

- Steve