[linux-audio-user] The Open Music Resource Library - Licensing

Darren Landrum consul at studioconsul.net
Fri Jan 3 01:19:00 EST 2003

Hello, all! I hope everyone had a good holiday season. As for me, I was
busy moving into a new house (I'm a first-time homeowner, which is
scary), so I've not had a chance to do any more work on the library.
That will change now, however, as I now have my cable modem back, and a
new broadband router to boot. :) I can now set up my older AMD 750 as a
development server... Eventually.

So now, it's down to brass tacks.

I figured before I start to work in earnest on the technical aspects of
the OMRL, that a good subject to tackle would be the required licensing
of the content uploaded to the site. In reviewing this subject over
previous emails, here are the conclusions I came to:

1) Users should be free to download, use, and redistribute for no cost
any and all loops, samples/sample sets, and patches.

2) Users should be free to use any loops, samples, and patches in their
final musical works, regardless of whether that final work is free or
for-profit.

3) Users will *not* be free to download any loops, samples, and patches
(raw materials) to package up and sell on a for-profit basis.

Basically, you can use anything from the OMRL in your final product and
sell it (or give it away), but you cannot sell any of the content of
the OMRL itself, for example, selling a loop library CD containing
loops from the library.

Does this make sense to everyone? Would this be an acceptable solution
to the problem?

Thank you for all of your help and support.

Regards,
Darren Landrum