[linux-audio-user] The Open Music Resource Library - Licensing

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Fri Jan 3 05:02:00 EST 2003

> > 3) Users will *not* be free to download any loops, samples, and patches
> > (raw materials) to package up and sell on a for-profit basis.
>
> Why not? I think, prohibiting selling is *bad*.

Best to ask the people who contribute the loops. If they intend to
dual-licence their loops, making them available to OMRL without restrictions
on commercial reuse could undermine this.

> All open source software
> allows selling.

There are licences that restrict or ban selling - the Aladin Ghostscript
licence, for example. While they don't describe it as an open source licence,
it's an alternative view of a similar problem. It's up to the person who
writes the licence, after all.

"This License attempts to ensure that those who receive, redistribute, and
contribute to the licensed Program according to the Open Source and Free
Software philosophies have the right to do so, while retaining for the
developer(s) of the Program the power to make those who use the Program to
enhance the value of commercial products pay for the privilege of doing so. "

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/8.00/Public.htm

Cheers

Daniel