[linux-audio-user] poor audio quality in tX?

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Fri Jan 3 06:48:01 EST 2003

On Fri, 03 Jan 2003 19:37:15 +0900
Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:

> I'm just testing out terminatorX as I need to get some more soundfiles
> in the mix these days. However the first problem I run into is all the
> sound files it plays have scratchy sound quality.
>
> I have verified that it is not the device or oss emulation so I'm
> wondering if libaudiofile has been known to have problems with certain
> files? Or if this is a known problem in tX that has an easy fix?

I would be money on it that terminator X does poor quality interpolation
rather than the high quality interpolation of something like Secret Rabbit
Code:

    http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/

Maybe terminator X could be modified to use the rabbit but then it may have
trouble running on lower powered machines.

The basic rule is that good quality interpolation is not cheap.

Erik