[linux-audio-user] The Open Music Resource Library - Licensing

Darren Landrum consul at studioconsul.net
Fri Jan 3 11:24:00 EST 2003

-Darren

On Friday, January 3, 2003, at 04:07 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Allowing selling or disallowing it makes a fundamental difference. If
> I for
> example write an open source game that uses loops from the OMRL in its
> soundtrack, it could not be part of a distribution like Debian, that
> many
> companies sell on CD.
>
> If I construct a Pd patch to comfortably play those loops, it could
> not be
> part of the AGNULA distribution, if it includes the loops, because
> someday
> AGNULA CD's will get sold.

I don't think that's necessarily true. You can still write and
distribute a PD patch that uses the loops. You just couldn't include
the loops themselves. But your point is made, nonetheless.

Also, the use of the loops in a game falls under the "final product"
use of the license, and would not be affected by the redistribution
restriction.

> These are just two simple examples as to what problems the restriction
> of
> selling could lead. I can think of many more. In the end, with this
> license
> OMRL would be just another sampling library, that restricts
> distribution.
>
> What about encouraging selling and encouraging distribution? The
> license
> could have the viral GNU catch, that copying and reselling of a CD's
> contents shall not be restricted by a third party producer. This way,
> some
> enterprise could make and sell CDs with OMRL, but I and anyone would be
> allowed to copy those for friends and enemies, if one feels the urge
> to do
> so.

This is an interesting idea. Any other thoughts?

Regards,
Darren Landrum