[linux-audio-user] Best CD Burners for DAE in Linux

Howard Sanner flagstad at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 5 20:13:00 EST 2003

Terry Ewing wrote:

> I'm looking or some expert advice in getting the best one (not the cheapest,
> not the most features, but the best) CD Burner currently on the shelves of
> stores that I can use with Linux.  I only burn a handful of CD's in a week
> but about 90% of the CD's I burn are audio CD's (not MP3's).

	My requirements aren't as sophisticated as yours. I don't know
about most of the ones on your list. However, I've been very
happy with my Plextor 24/10/40A, which I've had for a little over
a year now. I'm sure it's old enough to be obsolete. I run
Mandrake 8.1.

	I looked into this quite a bit before I put this system
together. Mike Richter (http://www.mrichter.com, I think) says
Plextors are the only ones he's never had any trouble with. Dave
Sarser, whose pronouncements on audio are, IMNSHO, the word of
God the overwhelming majority of the time, agrees with Richter.
Neither will use anything else.

	So if you want something that just plain works, get a Plextor. I
know this isn't the cheapest solution, but that wasn't one of
your requirements.

	BTW, my usual MO is to record using Broadcast 2000, edit, insert
labels, etc., render, and burn CD's using Eroaster. The only
coasters I've created have been when trying to overburn and when
I didn't pay attention to the rated burning speed of the blanks I
was using.

	YMMV, as always.

						Howard Sanner
						flagstad at mindspring.com