[linux-audio-user] usability of the m-audio quattro

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Jan 8 05:47:01 EST 2003

Brian Redfern wrote:
> I know Patrick has been working with one of these, i'm curious about
> people's impressions, is it usable enough to play a gig with it, or are
> people still working on getting a lot of bugs out of the usb audio driver?

Just recently the driver and associated tools have been nearly
completely fixed. The driver works perfectly now but arecord has
problems capturing at 24_3le.

I have been using this device almost fulltime for the past 6 weeks to
play live gigs and can now say that it is working extremely well with
reasonable buffers.

I tried doing some work at 44100,2,16 with 64bytes latency but it was
too noticible for the people I was working with. Probably I need to tune
my system for lower latency as this device shouldn't be noticible at
64bytes per period.

Anyway I can say that it does what I need when I use it for playback or
capture in seperate instances but as a duplex device I need to do more
testing.

It also makes a very handy patch bay (as long as I remember to repatch
when the machine it is connected to in not running :)

One thing you may want to take into account is that most DJ's require 6
outputs to work effectively when running completely from software. 4
ports for playback, 2 for cueing via headphones.

Also be aware that you cannot capture and playback through all 8 ports
at 24bits. I didn't realise that when I bought it and was slightly
dissapointed when I found out.

In general If I could purchase again I would go for a device with at
least 6 outputs for DJing purposes. But that probably would require at
least another year of debugging whereas this has been almost finished
for the quattro.

Another thing is that I can use tX provided I have the correct settings
for the mouse (usb or ps/2). Currently I am using

mouse speed = minimum
stop sense cycles = maximum

This gives crystal clear playback as root user. Even without lowlat on.

HTH.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman