[linux-audio-user] Soundless ALSA Newbie

Guy Clotilde guy.clotilde at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 9 14:57:00 EST 2003

On/le Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:33:29 +0200 (EET)
Sakari Aaltonen <sakari at aplac.hut.fi> wrote / a écrit quelque chose
comme:

> Then I tried 'alsamixer'. It does show the correct title
>    VIA 8233A/C
>    Avance Logic ALC650 rev 0
> and a collection of bars. The meaning of many of them is unclear
> to me, but I tried to up the volumes on most. Unfortunately, when
> I tried to play a MIDI file with 'aplay', no sound resulted. I
> also downloaded and tried the old 'playmidi', but it doesn't
> find '/dev/sequencer'.

alsa has an emulation layer for oss. So a nice little oss mixer called aumix works fine.
For midi, my sound card magically got midi working with 0.9rc6 . With alsamixer, "PCM" and "FM legacy" items control midi.
But you'll be pleased to know that you can make midi works really good (if better) with timidity. It's a midi player with soundfonts that can act as an alsa server for midi (must be specified at compil time). You should really try timidity. It's shipped with a lot of linux distros.

Cheers
Guy CLO~