[linux-audio-user] via82cxxx_audio

Tobias Ulbricht up5a at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Jan 12 16:15:01 EST 2003

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 02:23:42PM +0200, Sakari Aaltonen wrote:

> With help from a few kind people here, I got my ALSA sound working
> with xine. However, this was at 8 bits of color depth, and the
> video picture was not too good. So I tried 16 bits, which made xine
> fail, as it did MPlayer. But at 24 bits, MPlayer came to life and
> showed a picture that was (probably) as good as it gets.
>
> But... MPlayer doesn't like ALSA sound. It tries to keep video and
> audio in sync for 10 or 15 seconds; then it gives up and goes silent.
> It says my system is too slow; one of the reasons might be slow
> audio.

Mplayer might be resampling on the fly and when done inefficiently...it might raise your load .
See what "top" or any other CPU watch program says. (ksysguard)

There was an option to mplayer to resample to whatever format the soundcard accepts. (my oss-driver for i810 doesn't like all sample rates, so there was this option. I think something like "-aop list=format"
But don't trust it. It makes my mplayer crash at the moment.

Maybe somebody else knows that option (it's not in the --help)

aaha, found it : man mplayer helps
try some more "-aop list=resample" or something like this.

> But... I can't insmod the module. It complains

did you try "modprobe" instead of "insmod"?

Just some short-sighted guesses.

cheers,tobias.