[linux-audio-user] SB Audigy - recommendable?

Burkhard Woelfel versuchsanstalt at gmx.de
Mon Jan 13 08:32:00 EST 2003

Thank you for answering for the answers to the question I posted long
ago. I had no chance to connect since Nov. 25, which was quite an
experience BTW.

- - Burkhard

Referred post:
Hi all,
        I am considering to buy a soundcard for around 100$ and there
is an
offer for a SB Audigy.

Any recommendations?

I read that the driver on Sourceforge is still experimental.
Did anyone experience problems using that driver?

What should I know or consider?

Thanks a lot,

- - Burkhard

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 12:39:03PM +0100, Burkhard Woelfel wrote:
> What should I know or consider?

Creative Labs are slimy bastards:

1) They made the Live, claimed SPDIF digital I/O.  Turns out the card
resamples everything to 48kHz/16-bit regardless of what you tell it to
do.

2) They make the Audigy, claimed digital I/O and 24/96 operation.
Oops,
turns out it works just like an SBLive...

You'd be much better off saving for a low-end ymf-based card.

- --
Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com

On Friday 22 November 2002 18:12, you wrote:
> Anahata <anahata at treewind.co.uk> ha scritto:
> > Seconded, though I had to buy OSS drivers for it, and the SP/DIF
> > input only worked after a long exchange with the developers
> > during which they sent me several updated versions till it
> > behaved. Even then I think it will only work at 44.1kHz but
> > that's all I needed.
>
> It will surely work at 48000 (connected a DAT and no way of getting
> 44100), but according to his name should do also 24bit (not yet
> tested)
>
> > Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that the ALSA drivers that come
> > with Debian 3.0 will support SP/DIF input on the DiO 2448?
>
> Don't know about stock debian ALSA, but with SuSE ALSA no problem,
> and I recently compiled ALSA 0.9.0rc5 on debian ppc very easily, so
> I think that should be OK if you compile it from source.
>
> > The 2496 seems to be a better card generally - despite the only
> > apparent difference of having a higher sampling rate, in fact it
> > has a completely different chip and better software support for
> > more platforms.
>
> Yes but the price is higher...
>
> bye

- --
no html mail please, thank you. pub key at blackhole.pca.dfn.de
899B AFD7 14E9 D595 EA00  BE8B A348 851C 0F62 E91D