[linux-audio-user] VST plugins and linux

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Tue Jan 14 10:51:00 EST 2003

Steve Harris wrote:

> Can you explain what you mean by "toggles for randomized parameters".

As in "a tiny toggle switch to randomize parameters". The dfx_Transverb
is a nice example. I don't think it's doing anything fancy, it's just a
neat way of instantly shuffling parameter values.

> > also supports MIDI, which I believe is a problem for LADSPA (Taybin?).
>
> Yes. XAP is supposed to address this (at an abstract level), I believe
> that explicit MIDI support ala VSTi is a serious mistake.

I know this subject has been extensively chewed on LAD but perhaps you
can summarize for normal users why it's a bad idea or implementation. I
imagine the MIDI + VST arrangement is quite popular with Win/Mac
musicians. Those musicians coming into Linux might wonder "Why no MIDI
with LADSPA plugins?" (though of course XAP should work to make 'em
happy ;).

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org