[linux-audio-user] VST plugins and linux

Kevin Bowen kbowen at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 14 14:07:00 EST 2003

Thanks for all the info. Is there another vst->ladspa wrapper project other
than vstserver that anyone knows of? I could've sworn I found a reference to
another one when googling on the topic, but I've lost the link.

I had trouble getting vstserver to compile on my RH8 system... now that I've
been pointed to RPM's, I'll try those... I'm curious though what you mean
when you say
that vstserver requires some code from the VST SDK... do you mean this code
is *in* vstserver (it's my understanding that this wouldn't be allowed by
steinberg's license)... or do you need it in a library somewhere in order to
get vstserver to compile? Perhaps this would explain the issues I had with
it (although there was no mention of any such dependency in the install
readme).

And opening up a whole 'nother can o worms - how about directX plugins? I
saw them mentioned in the readme for vstserver as a possible future
feature... but there are several existing directX->VST wrappers available
(which I've used successfully on windows)... has anyone tried running a
wrapper inside a wrapper to get directX->VST->LADSPA? With wine able to make
use of system dll's from an existing win installation, this doesn't sound
entirely unreasonable. I currently have wine setup only in a fully
autonomous mode (i.e. no existing win install)... perhaps slapping on a
win98 install for wine to work with might make it work. If others have tried
it already and it's a no-go, I won't waste my time/drive space.