[linux-audio-user] Can't record midi

linuxmedia4 at netscape.net linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Wed Jan 15 18:15:02 EST 2003

Greetings,

O.K., I've read all I'm going to read. Now I need to ask you folks.

I installed Sound Blaster live 5.1 under SuSE 8.1. Everything seems
to work well except I can't record notes into Rosegarden or get RTSynth
to respond to to my Midi Keyboard. I can *play* midi files in any midi program but when I record (in Rosegarden) and look into the track, nothing was inputted.

In YaST (SuSE setup tool) it says to "pick the midi device you want to use". But the Window is empty. Also, in Rosegarden's Menu item:

Midi--> configure midi setup --> Record Device:

reads "(null device)" (and can't be changed).

These two items leads me to beleive that there's a module (or modules) to load.

I've spent days learning whole programs just to test if I'm getting anything out of my midi port. I've also read as much as I can about modules. But I'm still confused. Where do I start? I'm assuming that I
look if the right modules are loaded. But after days of reading (both offline and online), nothing comes right out and says what modules are supposed to be loaded.

Of course I'm assuming that there's a module that needs to be loaded. But I'm too new to this to know for sure.

Any help would be *very* appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rocco