[linux-audio-user] Re: signal processing kits

Fabio de Matos fabio.matos at terra.com.br
Wed Jan 15 21:25:01 EST 2003

> So you can run it in the sh command line, in the python commandline or
> in a real script. That's a big advantage over C++, let alone the
> syntactical advantages. It's faster to write, and with the numercial
> libs it's not that much slower.

	The problem is i want to have total control of the overhead, while
being able to optimize any code i want. If i can place all of the heavy
overhead in a non-critical thread, it's just fine.

> > 	I will consider looking at it. What are the reasons to use
> > 	python
> > instead of c++? I have some experience in c++ code but has never
> > seen python, nor used any of its tools... and i sure would need the
> > numerical extension you mentioned.
>
> Well, now that you mention it, Python would be no better for real time
> work than the C++ libs from Octave.
>
> Looks like you'll be working from scratch.
>
> Erik
> --

	As someone said previously, there is a way to write major code issues
in c++ and glue them together with python.

	This is not far from what i have foreseen. I though of a thread running
digital processing over some stream, and some other just for management
issues, possibly receiving orders from a script. The first should be
c/c++, while the second could be anything else.

	Strange as it is, you saying i have to do it from scratch is REALLY
good news to me. As it happens i have this end of graduation project,
which was more or less targeted to the requirements i asked about in my
first mail ( althought it was not my main proposal ). As it goes, i can
say to my professor i really couldn't find anything very close to the
project i have going on ( it's almost done by now ). The bad news is i
have to use my own code, which was written mainly in a rush, and lacks a
little discipline in some points.

	If someone would like to take a glance, i would be glad, though it
lacks documentation, and is commented mainly in portuguese.

	By your news, i have second thoughs of continuing it to serious work,
maybe in a master thesis.

	Again, thank you all,

	Fabio