[linux-audio-user] midi sequencing

John D. Barnett barnett at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 16 09:33:01 EST 2003

Hi-

I'm trying to get a usable midi sequencing setup, and I'm almost there.
All the software is from the Planet CCRMA on top of RH8.0, and
everything's working (thanks, Fernando, for your help). What I'm having
problems with now are the apps; I should add that I'm a newbie, so sorry
if these questions are in the fine manual...

Rosegarden (4-0.8-2)

Is it possible to change the note/voice used by the metronome?

Also, there's an echo when I play the keyboard-- is Rosegarden echoing
the midi input? How can I turn this off?

There's a tutorial that refers to the "studio", but I can't find it; is
this in a newer version? I'd like to set up the instrument definitions
for the Roland RD-600 (does anyone have a file of this?)

Muse (0.5.3b-2)

I can't seem to get it to record; I've tried following the online
directions, but without success. The UM-1S shows up in the list of midi
ports, and I make it recordable; I make the track recordable, and set a
range, double-click within it, and try recording-- nothing ever happens.

Are there other sequencing apps I should try out in this distribution?

Thanks!

-John

PS my configuration, if it addresses any questions above:

Hardware: Gateway laptop, p3 at 900MHz, with maestro3 sound and Roland
UM-1S usb midi, with a Roland RD-600 keyboard

Kernel, drivers etc from planet ccrma @home; low latency patch enabled