[linux-audio-user] Rhodes sound

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Sat Jan 18 09:28:01 EST 2003

Larry Troxler wrote:

> > Anyone know how I can emulate a rhodes using the computer keyboard?
> >

> That's a tough one. Just now I tried shaking it. That didn't work.
> Giving it a good sharp hit sounds percussive, but more like a snare then
> a Rhodes ;-)

LOL! I tried it too: I've owned a couple of Rhodes ep's, no way I could
get my keyboard to sound like one. I can get close to the sound of a
broken tine, but that's as close as I've got. ;)

> > A mix I'm working on really needs some hearty organ.
>
> Seriously though, isn't the Rhodes an electric piano?

You betcha. We used the Rhodes in my much younger days, it was about the
only alternative to dragging around an upright to mic.

And I must protest Frank B's characterization of FM's "cheezy" Rhodes
sound ! ;-)  My TX802 makes a better Rhodes sound than the original, and
the virtual tines never break.

Seriously though, the quality of FM's Rhodes emulation certainly depends
on the FM implementation. It's pretty bad from my OPL3 soundchip but
it's gorgeous from my 802.

Some of the SF2 Rhodes fonts are nice, and I'm pretty sure some of the
Linux softsynths can make good Rhodes sounds. I'm also curious to hear
how Steven Yi's DX emulation will sound in his "blue" Csound software.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org