[linux-audio-user] Rhodes sound

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jan 18 10:35:01 EST 2003

Hallo,
Dave Phillips hat gesagt: // Dave Phillips wrote:
> And I must protest Frank B's characterization of FM's "cheezy" Rhodes
> sound ! ;-)  My TX802 makes a better Rhodes sound than the original, and
> the virtual tines never break.

I think the "Rhodes" sound, or maybe it was called something else, of
the DX7 is one of the most famous FM sounds, and it even has been
overused. The STK FM examples don't emulate the DX7 but the TX81Z,
which might be similar to your synth. It uses only 4 operators instead
of the 6 in a DX7, but that's okay.

I recently had a lot of fun with them and the BeeThree when I was
looking for a short term birthday present.

I can't play the keyboard, so I downloaded a whole bunch of pop tunes
in midi format from midifarm.com and other sites, you know, real
"cheezy" stuff like "Mandy" or Pink's "Let's get this party started"
and "arranged" these to use BeeThree instances with oodles of vibrato
for just about every voice except the drums, which I did with my
"angriff" Pd-drumset.

The result was absolutly hilarious IMO, very charming and amusing, and
the lenghth of a CD was quickly filled.

I was so impressed by my achievement, that I even re-used it for a
couple of next birthdays. ;)

ciao