[linux-audio-user] quattro distortion under mandrake 9.0 - more details

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sat Jan 18 13:51:00 EST 2003

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> iriXx wrote:
>
>> any suggestions would be very gratefully received!
>>

> Sorry. I forgot you weren't using the latest cvs. If you would like some
> help installing it again (after your last round) I could ssh in and do
> it for you.
>
> Let me know off list if you think that is a good idea.

The other option is that you could try going through the manual install
again. This time run some checks before hand to make sure things are not
going to conflict.

First find out where exactly mandrake has put the alsa modules. Then
remove them. Now make sure you have a /lib/modules/2.4.x/kernel

If you do then install the alsa packages

And do a rmmod alsa-modules

modprobe snd-card; modprobe snd-mixer-oss,modprobe snd-pcm-oss; modprobe
snd-seq-oss

Now you definitely know that other modules can't be conflicting. If the
sound is okay after doing this then next time you reboot you will know
if it is boot scripts that are causing you alsa troubles or not. Then if
they do just take out the offending lines.

Although I've had no troubles for a while by just ignoring them until I
find out what they mean :)

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman