[linux-audio-user] Rhodes sound

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sat Jan 18 14:52:01 EST 2003

Jan "Evil Twin" Depner wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> 	What I know about MIDI and synthesizers would not fill even a small
> thimble but I did stumble across a thing at the SLAB website called
> Bristol that had a Hammond B3 sound.

I've been trying to get it going for a few hours now. I have used all
three of my cards as the sound device. I have been playing with vkeybd,
kaconnect and timidity for a while now with good results. I have tried
starting it while timidity is running or not (in case it is blocking the
sequencer, IIRC that defeats the purpose of having a sequencer but had
to make sure anyway) and as root or user.

Every commandline I throw at it says one of these:

---
alsa native:

./startBristol -b3 -audio alsa -audiodev first -midi alsa -seq -mididev
128.0
         You may want to make bristolengine a suid-root executable
spawning midi thread
connected to :0.0 (80c52c0)
display is 1024 by 768 pixels
Window is w 1024, h 768, d 16, 0 0 0
Using DirectColor display
masks are f800 f800 f800
Initialise the hammondB3 link to bristol: 80c63e8
starting upper manual connection
         flags are 0a000000
midi sequencer             <<<--- ok
Problem with bind
Could not open control listening socket: 0   <<<--- not ok
No controlling socket available: anticipating MIDI
Error opening control device, exiting midi thread
Could not get thread schedule
parent going into idle loop
parent exiting
hostname is localhost, bristol
port is 5028

oss emulation:

         You may want to make bristolengine a suid-root executable
spawning midi thread
         flags are 88000000
midi oss
Problem with bind
Could not open control listening socket: 0
No controlling socket available: anticipating MIDI
Error opening control device, exiting midi thread
Could not get thread schedule
parent going into idle loop
connected to :0.0 (80c52c0)
display is 1024 by 768 pixels
Window is w 1024, h 768, d 16, 0 0 0
Using DirectColor display
masks are f800 f800 f800
INIT: 80c4fd8
Initialise the mini link to bristol: 80c63e8
parent exiting
hostname is localhost, bristol
port is 5028
./src/1music/bristol/bin/startBristol: line 127:  3004 Segmentation
fault      bristol $* -engine

----

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman