[linux-audio-user] The missing link

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Wed Jan 22 04:53:00 EST 2003

linuxmedia4 at netscape.net wrote:
> I was learning Rosegarden (according to the installer notes it's
> version 2.1pl3-257) [...] I probly have an old version of
> Rosegarden (although I have the latest SuSE).

It's not so much that you have an old version, as that you have
a rather different program altogether.

Generally when anyone on this list refers to Rosegarden they're
likely to be talking about Rosegarden-4, which is a newer and far
more sophisticated application that doesn't even have much code in
common with Rosegarden-2.1.  It's still very much "in development",
but you probably won't find it any less stable than Rosegarden-2.1
anyway...

Rosegarden-4 is not included with any of the major distros yet,
but it should compile out-of-the-box on SuSE 8.1 (the majority of
core Rosegarden developers use SuSE).  You may need to install
the odd extra package but nothing that isn't on the SuSE CDs.
It's a KDE application that generally installs into the KDE
directory tree (though you don't have to run KDE to use it), and
you can have both Rosegarden-2.1 and Rosegarden-4 installed at
the same time -- you just need to make sure the right one's in
your $PATH.

Information, downloads and mailing-list details at

  http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden/

Chris