[Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 22 09:14:01 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 01:50:40 +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> The knob in question was rendered in several frames such that it could
> turn a complete revolution, which unfortunately takes lots of memory :(
> so I'm not so sure these types of graphics are really usable...

They are. I have a 40ish step photographed (tripod + careful lighting)
knob that I'm using for some UI code and it is perfectly reasonably
efficient. Post processing the photos was very tedious though, and I think
blender would give better results if I had the skills or time to use it.

Something I've been thinking of recently is palming off the rendering to
OpenGL, modern cards have large texture memories so they can hold most of
the graphics on the card, and not need to bother the main RAM.

- Steve