[Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers

Nathaniel Virgo nathaniel.virgo at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 22 19:34:00 EST 2003

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 7:27 pm, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 07:03:50 +0000, Nathaniel Virgo wrote:
> > I will have to have a look at artsbuilder.  I was pretty much planning on
> > making my gui grid-less, so you can drag the modules where you want.  Is
> > there any particular advantage from the user's point of view in having a
> > grid?
>
> Arguably, its easier to make neat layouts. It also makes the routing
> algorithm much more efficient. It may not even complete in realtime if it
> had free positioning.
>
> - Steve

Yeah, but I just don't find grids sexy.  From a user POV I'd rather have
modules that can move freely but snap together like in most window managers -
but I'm open to comments.

Do you think that the algorithm is just about minimising wire lengths /
numbers of bends (non-trivial in itself) or is there something deeper to it
than that?

I found a review paper on these and related problems(*), and it looks like
explicitly grid-oriented algorithms are much slower.  Essentially you can
allow the grid to have differing cell sizes and deduce it from the positions
of the modules, making for less edges to search.  I think it's intractable in
any case, but completing in realtime shouldn't be a problem because the
actual structure of the graph only needs to be updated every now and then.

(*) http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/lee96rectilinear.html