[Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Thu Jan 23 04:25:01 EST 2003

>  All of the UI code is
> fobbed off onto your video card, if it has enough memory. (If not, it
> uses standard Quartz). Since I have a Mac (the dual 1Ghz model) with a
> good enough card and OS 10.2, I can attest that the results are
> actually quite nice.

Should we need that kind of machine for running audio apps under Linux? Isn't
this just bloatware? Doesn't it rule out less processor-intensive approaches,
such as embedded systems?

> Using OpenGL for your UI also gives you some nifty
> options you don't get under standard 2D drawing.

Linux free software shouldn't have to emulate proprietary software - there's
the chance to avoid the mistakes of the past. For example, Audacity is so
much better than Cool Edit Pro for hard disk recording performance, even on
Windows. The Audacity interface is so clear that musicians I know with
absolute zero computer knowledge can grasp what to do with it in about thirty
seconds.

Cheers

Daniel