[linux-audio-user] Answers to Grandest Piano feedback collected in one message (again)

Roel de Wit roel at utopiasd.com
Thu Jan 23 06:02:02 EST 2003

Hi,

> I listened to the 5Schumann after adding reverb. Then I listened to
recordings
> I've made of of some concert grands: Boesendorfer, Chickering, Erard and
> Steinway. Then went back to yours. They all sound different. Yours is
> a perfectly acceptable sound, but maybe a little more different. It is
> the only acceptable piano simulation I've heard.
> I'm using an Audigy1 card in Linux. I couldn't get a Freebsd driver for
it.

The only thing that's currently available is a DAC/ADC based driver from
what I now.. The same coulds for the Audigy 2 since this week.
If you like any recordings to be made from a MIDI file in your posession
just email it (this is an offer to everybody on this list).. Any feedback on
where the piano flaws is welcome..

> > Note though that it was sampled from Grandest Piano beta v0.1 and thus
will
> > not neccesarily represent the v1.0 release of the piano. Next week two
new
> > sample layers will be added and the amount of velocity layers will be
> > increased to 127 (which will fully replace the current not so perfect
ones).
> I'm not really a master of piano samples and synths, but let me say -
> the test you've posted sounds really good.  I like the way the samples
> sound - they have a very unprocessed sound.  It lets the piano come
> through.  If I were using the sample set, it would allow me to apply the
> effects I needed without impeding that.

That's the reason for the dry sound.. Additional 'performance' presets will
be included with reverb and settings for different types of music but the
dry version is the most important IMHO.

---
Roel / Utopia Sound Division
http://www.utopiasd.com