[linux-audio-user] Bundled reply of you guess what :)

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Jan 23 16:58:00 EST 2003

> If I would change something it would be in an additional soundfont (that's
> if the samples themself are changed) for the Audigy (2)
> initially. Regarding
> 44.1 Khz samples, we can downsample with anti-aliasing during the
> installation process if needed.. When not changing the sampled themself
> changes can be made in realtime in hardware/software with filters and EQ
> settings.

I agree it should be a new soundfont.

> What you would prefer when you would buy a piano like Grandest Piano if it
> offered soundbank in multiple formats ? One installer that installs all
> formats in one go and might write 1.5 gig of soundbanks or more to your
> harddisk or.... One data file for which somebody has to pay and a lot of
> free downloadable installers for each format ? I'm asking since we can't
> make an installer with the current installation system which allows you to
> install in several formats since we rely on a 'patching' system
> (like DeltaX under Linux) for part of the installation proces..
> If a person would select multiple formats we'll need a lot of patchfiles
> to cope with this.
<SNIP>

> There will be a 220 MB version at maximum (initially) and several smaller
> versions down to 40 MB (only one sampled velocity layer) for maximum
> compatibillity with any system..

Until such time as we have a stream-from-disk sample player for Linux,
I think that 200MB is probably close to the upper limit on anything I'd
really use loaded in memory. I tend, as I have said, to use a lot of
sounds and MIDI tracks, so I can't really load GigaBytes of soundfonts.

To me it makes sense to have a fairly small soundfont for composing. Just
20-30MB, so that most of the time I don't use too much memory. When it
comes time to record audio, I'd like to load up the largest, best sounding
sounds I can find. At that time, I might record only a single track at a
time to Ardour, and then mix the final sound as standard audio work.

> It surely helps.. It basically allows me to listen to several types of
> pianos (whether I like them or not) and see if it's possible to make
> variations similar to well known pianos.. Not that these would
> sound exactly
> like them but it allows for pianos with different types of sound.

Michael Post does a lot of different piano libraries that are represented
on that page. He uses similar equipment for all the libraries, but records
the pianos in whatever room he gets them in. They all sound very different.