[linux-audio-user] Dedicated Digital Audio Workstation

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Tue Jan 28 11:01:01 EST 2003

Hello,

I am wanting to put together a dedicated DAW for the recording of
sermons. From that recording I will produce cassettes, cds, mp3 and
ogg/speek (as hardware support comes).

I am totally uneducated as to what is best for such.

Hardware:

I am currently looking at picking up used rackmount unit (4U) for this
machine.

How much processor is desired/required for this task?
PII, PIII, P4/Athlon.
Are dual systems (PII,PIII) desireable?
I will buy plenty of RAM and hard drive space.
Any preference in soundcards?
Anything else?

I do want good quality recording.

Software:

Need not be complicated or highly featured per se.
My editing needs currently are minimal.
Pick a starting point, pick an end point.
Create new file.
Ability to select beginning, middle and end points when creating cassettes.

I will be connecting this to a rackmounted cassette deck, a mixer, etc.

I currently use Debian (Sid) for my home machine.
If that makes any difference.

Thanks for help and suggestions.

Jimmie Houchin