[linux-audio-user] Dedicated Digital Audio Workstation

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Tue Jan 28 16:44:00 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:48:03 -0600
Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at texoma.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am wanting to put together a dedicated DAW for the recording of
> sermons. From that recording I will produce cassettes, cds, mp3 and
> ogg/speek (as hardware support comes).
>
> I am totally uneducated as to what is best for such.
>
> Hardware:
>
> I am currently looking at picking up used rackmount unit (4U) for this
> machine.
>
> How much processor is desired/required for this task?
> PII, PIII, P4/Athlon.

Don't look at PII, but PIII, Athlon and even P4 are all players. Sooner
or later you will run out of CPU grunt. You should get as much as you can
afford now.

> Are dual systems (PII,PIII) desireable?

Dual systems IMO are definitely worth a look. If you look at the latest
processor with a speed of X Mhz, you can usually get 2 processors at
80% of X MHz for less money.

> I will buy plenty of RAM and hard drive space.

Too much RAM is never enough.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam at mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)