[linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Wed Jan 29 10:30:00 EST 2003

> If you want a tutorial on using cvs and building apps from source,
> you're not going to get that from Mandrake, as we are a binary-based
> distro.

I think I have read tutorials on building from source on one of the Mandrake
sites - and in the field of audio, it seems necessary to use CVS to get
things working sometimes, even for the kind of user who wouldn't normally
need to touch it. I can think of situations when making your own RPMs from
CVS would be useful, other than for sharing with other users via the internet
- for instance, build CVS on one machine, deploy RPM quickly on many.

Some Mandrake-style documentation on the differences between building from CVS
and building from tarballs might therefore be useful.

Cheers

Daniel