[linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Jan 29 14:11:01 EST 2003

> > Beyond that, figuring out dependencies is a mess in Redhat. Probably is for
> > all distributions. But it's the main reason I use PlanetCCRMA instead of
> > doing it all by hand. Any solution to that problem?
>
> PlanetCCRMA is a great idea and a great tool, but its rpms are quite
> generic, so you may have problems if they are dynamically linked to old
> libraries (glibc most notably).  That's why it's best to use rpms
> designed specifically for your distro AND your version of that distro.

Could you explain in more detail what would be the difference between a
"generic" and a more distribution specialized rpm? For rpms I package
myself for Planet CCRMA I create spec files that follows (as much as I
can) RH conventions. Generic spec files, usually included in the
packages themselves, are most of the time heavily revised and edited to
match RH as well, and the same thing happens to spec files coming
originally from other distributions.

Regarding dynamic linking, I don't quite see what the problem might be.
Maybe you are not aware that Planet CCRMA rpms currently come in three
"flavors", 7.2, 7,3 and 8.0, each one being a separate repository. Each
program has three versions of the binary rpm(s), one for each distro
version, each one compiled under the proper version of the distribution,
with all current updates. As long as RH itself does not break backwards
compatibility within a given revision with its updates there should not
be any problems whatsoever with dynamic linking.

-- Fernando