[linux-audio-user] linux and "enhanced" CDs

tim tim at orford.org
Thu Jan 30 10:24:01 EST 2003

> Recently I picked up Peter Gabriel's _Up_ disc.  In the fine print on the
> outside of the case it says "This is an enhanced CD.  Please put it in
> your computer."
> [...]
> 1)  Is there a linux utility that can deal with such?
>
> 2)  (Somewhat off-topic for this list)  I'm presuming the answer to 1) is
> "no."  If this is the case:  When I boot up the Windows side of my
> (dual-boot) system, and put in the disc, the executable brings up a menu
> one option of which is "play."  If I click on this it starts the generic
> Windows CD player, which is of course useless for, well, turning the songs
> into ogg files.
> 	How would I set up a symbolic link in Windows, so that a call for
> the generic CD player brings up, say, musicmatch?  I can usually deal with
> these things in linux but I'm not very confident messing things around in
> Windows.

yep they've completely broken cd's :-(

cant speak for specific examples, but most of the enhanced cds are
macromedia director compiled executables with separate media files.
Often you can forget the useless Director crap and just look at the
real content which in most cases is going to consist of not much
more than the promotional video, which is most likely a quick-time
file which a recent mplayer has a good chance of being able to play
once you have mounted the disk.

but you'd probably be better off not wasting your time with crippled riaa disks :-)

good luck!

--
Tim Orford