[linux-audio-user] using jack-rack as real time effects processor.

jordan muscott jordan at no-future.com
Fri Jan 31 12:33:01 EST 2003

Greets all,

I've got a nasty feeling I'm doing something stupid here, but i'm fed up
of doing it on my own.

sound blaster pci 128 ( ens1371 )
alsa0.9rc1
jack 0.44.0

I want to use jack-rack as a real time effects processor. The first
thing i'm not entirely comfortable about is that whatever audio I send
to the IN on my soundcard seems to get sent straight to the OUT ( i can
record stuff ok ). Then i'm starting jack:

[root at larry jordan]# jackd -R  -d alsa -d hw:0

and the starting jack-rack ( as root, of course ). I've tried using the
-o -i options here too.

I get the following from jack_lsp:

[root at larry jordan]# jack_lsp
alsa_pcm:capture_1
alsa_pcm:capture_2
alsa_pcm:playback_1
alsa_pcm:playback_2

I've tried making what seemed like the sensible connections here with
jack_connect, but the sound i'm sending in either just gets echoed to
the output ( as per normal ), or I get hideous feedback.

Somebody, please help. Thanks, Jordan.