[linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Rob lau at kudla.org
Wed Jul 2 10:55:01 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 09:12, Maarten de Boer wrote:
> A collegue of mine just bought the new Radio Head CD, Hail To The Thief.
> As the box says, this CD is "Copy Controlled". Some searching on the web
> revealed that it using so called Cactus Data Shield 200 protected, which

Huh.  I bought the US "Limited Edition", it didn't mention "copy controlled"
anywhere on the packaging, I threw it in the drive and immediately ripped it
without trouble using RipperX (without "paranoid" mode or whatever turned on,
even.)

Wonderful CD incidentally, the pre-release copy I got months ago must have
been remixed or something before release because the final version really
sparkles.  I'd never recommend anyone buy a so-called "copy controlled" CD by
any artist though.  They might as well have a sticker on the front that says
"Don't buy me, pirate me instead!" on those discs.

Rob