[linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Wed Jul 2 13:08:04 EDT 2003

> I completely disagree with both copy protecting CD as
> I should be able to make a personal copy, but I completely disagree
> with Kazaa, et all, as it's just theft.

I don't think copyright law makes much of a distinction. Fair use
doesn't seem to carry much weight these days...

As for the emotive word 'theft', I think you're confusing bits with
atoms. You can't steal a binary number - and with p2p, you're not
even 'stealing' bandwidth from the artist.

The industry has deliberately confused the two - comparing p2p users
with shoplifters, for example. If someone gets busted for
shoplifting, it's not because of copyright infringement - it's
because of theft of physical property, or atoms.

Just suppose you hear a song on the radio - are you stealing it, if
you later choose not to by the CD? I bet there are lots of people
listening to the radio right now, who have no intention of buying the
music they are hearing. It's absurd to imagine that you could extract
payment from each and every listener in the analogue domain, so why
should the labels expect to do this in the digital one? Because
they've been sold DRM snake oil, I expect.

Or what if you don't listen to the advertisers who pay the radio
station's music royalties bill? Are you willfully interfering with a
business model? That sort of behaviour can get you into trouble these
days...

Cheers

Daniel