[linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Thu Jul 3 06:26:01 EDT 2003

> I can find higher quality music being given away by the artist
> for free than its possible to find in all the archives of major
> labels (well, ok Hendrix is major label, but look, they assassinated
> him).

Hendrix is actually a great example. Far from unknown and then
'discovered', as most people would have it, he was playing live for
years but no-one in the industry would give him a break.

It took an outsider (and a musician, not a label executive) to
recognise his talent, and introduce him to other UK-based musicians.
It was on their insistence that he got the gig at Monterrey in 1967,
which I think was his first big break in the US.

As for assassinated, I think it would be fairer to say that they
didn't look after him very well. He actually died due to the
combination of sleeping tablets and alcohol, shortly after playing a
storming set in a field just outside our village to 600,000 people.
He's kind of a religious figure around here...

Cheers

Daniel