[linux-audio-user] Jack 0.70.4 crashes on connection

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Tue Jul 8 16:10:01 EDT 2003

Hello!

I am trying to use jack 0.70.4. The reason for the old version is simple
- rosegarden 4 0.9.1 fails to build with 0.72.4.

But before I can use rosegarden, I need to run fluidsynth. And I can't
get as far as this. Connecting fluidsynth's jack ports to the alsa ones
causes an immediate jack crash!

Any advice on getting this to work would be very appreciared! Deteils
follow.

I run three root terminal windows (rxvt or xterm - does not matter). In
one of them I start jackd; in the other, fluidsynth; and in the third,
try to get ports connected. Here is all that I do, and the output I get.

In the jackd terminal:

===

[root at ramendik misha]# jackd -d alsa -d hw:0
jackd 0.70.4
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

JACK compiled with System V SHM support
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|1024|2|48000|swmon|swmeter|rt
open
port alsa_pcm:capture_1 has mixdown = 0x4001da28
port alsa_pcm:capture_2 has mixdown = 0x4001da28
port alsa_pcm:playback_1 has mixdown = 0x4001da28
port alsa_pcm:playback_2 has mixdown = 0x4001da28
starting engine

===

in the fluidsynth terminal:

===
[root at ramendik misha]# fluidsynth -a jack YamahaGrand_Adcock.SF2
fluidsynth version 1.0.2
Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Peter Hanappe and others.
FLUID Synth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions; see the COPYING file for details.
SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

Type 'help' to get information on the shell commands.

===

This happens in the jackd terminal:

===
port fluidsynth:left has mixdown = 0x4001da28
port fluidsynth:right has mixdown = 0x4001da28
===

In the third terminal:

===
[root at ramendik misha]# jack_connect fluidsynth:left alsa_pcm:playback_1
engine sample rate: 48000
[root at ramendik misha]# jack_connect fluidsynth:right alsa_pcm:playback_2
engine sample rate: 48000
===

This causes an immediate crash of jackd, with this output:

===
cannot send event to client [jack_connect] (Broken pipe)
jack main caught signal 13
===

at the same time in the fluidsynth terminal:

===
> zombified - calling shutdown handler
fluidsynth: error: Help! Lost the connection to the JACK server
===

What "zombified" means is clear - it also happens if I simply Ctrl-C the
jackd terminal. So it looks like a jack crash, not a fluidsynth one.

Help... Thanks in advance for any tips.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik